Stu & Tippy's Travels

This Blog will be used to document the travels of Stuart and Tippy Reid as we travel this beautiful country in our motorhome. We will hopefully be able to share our experiences in words and pictures and allow our friends and family to enjoy them with us.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Walnut Bowl from "Old Wood"

I completed this bowl this afternoon and had to share it with all of you, whomever that is.  This bowl came from a piece of wood from a Walnut tree that was cut down in 1965.  To say the least it was dry and hard!  I had great difficulty cutting the bowl because of inclusions, cracks, and other imperfections in the wood.  I actually applied some CA and sawdust to some of the cracks to fill them in a bit but I left many because they made the piece even more beautiful.

This bowl will be a gift for my good friend and neighbor Steve Stein that supplied the wood.  Steve, and his wife Kay, have done so much for us we can never repay them and they certainly don't want us to even try.  I think this is true friendship when people help people because they like too.  I can't wait for therm to see the bowl and I certainly hope they enjoy it as much as I did turning it.  I have enough wood remaining from that piece to do, maybe, two goblets.  I will wait to see how they like the bowl and then decide what to make.  There is also another large piece that could do another bowl or something else that appears as I begin to work with the wood.  Enjoy and be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home